Local Law 97, New York City’s landmark emissions reduction law took effect earlier this month. Local Law 97 (LL97) is designed to tackle climate change head-on, spurring investments in energy efficiency while transforming the city’s skyline. It’s one of the most ambitious plans for reducing emissions in the nation.
Owners of buildings larger than 25K SF are required to track and report their greenhouse gas emissions and they’re subject to fines if they fail to reduce them below a certain level. The carbon cap took effect on January 20, 2024 and affects an estimated 50,000 properties. By May 1, 2025, landlords will be legally required to comply or demonstrate a good faith effort to do so.
LL97 requires buildings to reduce their carbon emissions dramatically. By 2030, large buildings must lower emissions by an impressive 40%, and by 2050, they must reach an 80% reduction. The law also established the LL97 Advisory Board and Climate Working Groups to advise the city on how best to meet these aggressive sustainability goals.
Local Law 97 generally covers, with some exceptions, the following:
- Buildings that exceed 25,000 gross square feet;
- Two or more buildings on the same tax lot that together exceed 50,000 square feet;
- Two or more buildings owned by a condo association that are governed by the same board of managers and that together exceed 50,000 square feet.
Benefits Beyond Compliance
Complying with LL97 isn’t just about avoiding penalties. It’s a movement that’s driving innovation and helping building owners reduce operational costs and enhance the value of their properties. Benefits include:
- Improve your bottom line with lower operating expenses
- Boost tenant satisfaction and reduce turnover by improving comfort and keeping rents affordable
- Increase the value and marketability of your properties by installing high performance equipment
- Reduce your carbon footprint and contribute to a cleaner and healthier community
Hillmann is a Trusted Partner in Sustainability
We recognize that businesses may harbor reservations about implementing the changes required to comply with the carbon emissions limits mandated by LL97. Concerns often revolve around the perceived costs associated with these adjustments. We understand the importance of cost-effectiveness and we specialize in crafting plans specifically tailored for each building. By strategically identifying and implementing the most efficient measures, we guide clients toward compliance while optimizing their financial investments.
We’re here to help navigate the intricacies of LL97. Our dedicated team of experts specialize in energy consulting and can guide you every step of the way. Our Energy Services include:
- Energy Consulting
- Energy Audits
- Commissioning (Cx) / Retro-Commissioning (RCx)
- Measurement and Verification Services
- Energy Management and Assessment Software Programs
The Hillmann Family of Companies
Discover our diverse family of companies, united by innovation and driven by a commitment to excellence. Together, we’re making a better future for all the communities we touch.
- Abraxas Energy Consulting
- Hillmann Consulting, LLC
- Hillmann Development Advisors, LLC
- HK Engineering & Geology D.P.C.
Hillmann Acquires Abraxas Energy Consulting
February 1, 2024
Local Law 97: Benefits Beyond Compliance
January 29, 2024
Asbestos Regulations Guidance
December 4, 2023
Open Air Plenums
September 13, 2023
NYC Lead Paint Laws for Landlords
August 7, 2023
Community Impact: Affordable Housing
June 5, 2023